If I have been able to express myself adequately, I hope that my article (and the other articles I am going to write) will help you to be better at what you do. I am not the Alpha and Omega, but I would like to explain something that can be difficult to understand in simple terms. I would like to share with you what I have learned and hope this will be a sufficient first step to start getting you to ask for more.
I have decided to raise the issue of TESTING. Thinking about all the topics I would like to talk about, I hope this one will be a smooth introduction. I am making an assumption that starting from the easy-peasy things is better. Okay. Time to begin part 1.
What do testers care about?
At the simplest level – they try to confirm that the whole process of creating the product meets the clients’ requirements, expectations set out at the beginning of the process and the ultimate end result is a good quality product.
What does the process look like?
Who is who?
I hope this short description allows you to understand what kind of specialist you are looking for.
GET MORE TECHNOLOGY POSTINGS LIKE THIS
Want the latest hr tech industry news and talent trends? Sign up for RecruitingDaily and stay in the know.
- Tester – very general and unclear term that can be anybody who tests, let`s say, games, AGD products or tester who tests banking applications.
- Test Engineer – a person who has a technical background; prepares and performs tests (manuals or automatics).
- Test Manual Engineer – more precise than above. Is a person who performs manual tests.
- Test Automation Engineer – more precise. A person who performs automatics tests.
- Test Analyst – a specialist who designs, performs and analyzes tests. A person who is able to indicate all issues should have more attention paid to them.
- Test Lead – a person who is responsible for all technical issues, which should be considered in testing.
- Test Manager – a specialist who is responsible for contact with the Client, monitors the budget, assigns tasks, verification progress, etc.
- Quality Assurance – QA (Engineer, Analyst, Manager) – a person who is responsible for the quality of the product at each stage of the process.
Now let`s try to connect a position with every step of the process. That should clarify what kind of job offer/tasks a specialist would probably be interested in.
What can the testers test?
Software testing, e.g:
- Internet applications
- Mobile applications
Hardware testing, e.g:
- TV decoders
- Navigation Equipment
- Chip card readers
We are arriving at the end of the article. There’s just one more topic.
What is the difference between manual and automation testing?
Manual testing – the process by which every step is done by hand using a computer or mobile devices.
Automation testing – the process that is done with the use of automated tools. This kind of testing has never replaced manual testing but both could be complementary.
Let`s say we have to test a game, a simple game in which you have to shoot down balloons. You can do this manually all day and night, and check that the game is without bugs or you can use automated tools and the computer will do your work.
What can you gain? Time of course! And money.
That is all for now. In the next part I will explain the types of testing and levels of testing.
Any constructive comments will be appreciated! If you would like to say more, talk about what I have written or ask for something do not hesitate to contact me.
“They said that everyone you will ever meet knows something you don’t.”