A small but growing number of employers have integrated AI interviews into their hiring process.
Some 10% of businesses currently use AI-based interviews, while 17% plan to start using them this year, according to a survey by ResumeBuilder. Another 17% plan to begin using the technology sometime during 2024.
Still, nearly a third – some 32% – don’t intend to start using technology-driven interviews at all, while more than 20% were unsure of their organization’s plans.
“It’s no surprise that companies are investing in AI interviews as they continue to try to streamline the interview process,” said ResumeBuilder Chief Career Advisor Stacie Haller. “I personally don’t believe that human interaction can ever be replaced, but if companies believe this will help them screen candidates effectively, we will see this practice continue to grow.”
Of the 44% who said they’ll introduce AI interviews sometime next year, 15% said the technology will be used to make hiring decisions without human input. On the other hand, 85% said AI will provide recommendations on candidates, but leave the final hiring decisions to people.
Despite all this, there are some hesitations. Although 65% percent of respondents believe AI interviews increase hiring efficiency, 79% said it’s “’very” or “somewhat” likely that they’ll screen out worthy candidates more frequently than people would. That led Haller to observe, “If AI eliminates solid candidates, companies need a backup plan to verify the effectiveness of its screening abilities.”
Where AI Fits
Eight-three percent of the respondents said they’ll use AI to identify specific job qualifications, while 40% said it would also evaluate candidates to ensure their culture fit.
In terms of when in the hiring process AI interviews take place, 65% said they serve as an “early screening tool” while 17% see them as only one step in the process. About 14% reported they’re the last step in the process.
“It remains to be seen how efficient AI interviews really are in the long run, Haller said, noting, “some candidates may be turned off by this type of interviewing as well.”
Respondents were also asked what the AI will be evaluating candidates for. Eighty-three percent said it will evaluate specific job qualifications, while 40% said it would also gauge candidates to ensure culture fit.
By Mark Feffer
Mark Feffer is executive editor of RecruitingDaily and the HCM Technology Report. He’s written for TechTarget, HR Magazine, SHRM, Dice Insights, TLNT.com and TalentCulture, as well as Dow Jones, Bloomberg and Staffing Industry Analysts. He likes schnauzers, sailing and Kentucky-distilled beverages.
Weekly news and industry insights delivered straight to your inbox.