One scroll through Instagram or Facebook and you’ve got a potpourri of inspirational advice imploring you to…
Put down the phone and play with your children. (No, not video games)
Actively listen and be present (and stop finishing your partner’s sentences in the annoying way)
Slow down and chew every bite 32 times (um, gross.)
Outside of work, we are encouraged to be mindful, make meaningful connections and “soak it all in.”But once we get to work, what’s the encouragement?
We celebrate being busy AF and we’re literally encouraged to go beast mode…
- Slam in the back to back meetings (who needs to pee?)
- Take home more than a year’s worth of action items (it’s ok, you’ll pretend to delegate.)
- Do the things (all of them.)
- Grind for 72 hours at HRTech (no you don’t need sleep – there’s O2 pumping through the airwaves.)
- Don’t forget to check your email between every session.
(F@#$ that out of office nonsense)
Seriously? No wonder 95% of HR pro’s admit that burnout is sabotaging retention.
We’re missing the point.
We’re so busy focused on the potential outcomes of the conference, we barely stop long enough to enjoy it while we’re here!
My suggestion – stop, re-apply some of that ‘off duty advice’ you’re getting and appreciate HR Tech for what it really is – the chance to connect with peers in meaningful and memorable ways. With some awesome learning sprinkled in of course.
Connecting with people and doing meaningful things is why you got into HR, remember?
- Yes, this conference has organically exploded.
- Yes, this conference has more tracks than trainspotting.
- Yes, the expo hall is a obstacle course requiring a tight focus, a tighter gameplan and the loosest, most comfortable shoes possible. (Flip flops are biz cas’, right?)
Remember why you are at this conference.
- To make new connections (they could change your career)
- To reconnect with amazing humans you haven’t SEEN in years (they could also change your career)
- To take a minute and appreciate how cool your job is (you actually help people start careers/ perform their best, achieve epic shit…)
In an effort to help you stop and soak it the moment, we’re partnering with Oleeo to remind you to #bemoreeventful at this year’s #HRtechconf.
Oleeo has created a simple game with 14 cards that challenge you to step out of your comfort zone, get a little silly and yes – say hi to the stranger next to you in line.
I hope you’ll swing by their booth #1548 and grab a deck and play with the team at Recruiting Daily. We’re going to be handing out $100 cash rewards (aka, gambling money) every day to winners that post themselves completing challenges.
Bonus points if you know how to Floss.
And yes, there’s a tech tie in – because shouldn’t there be? The folks at Oleeo deliver intelligent mobile technology for all kinds of high volume recruiting events to help candidates and recruiters #bemoreeventful.
Come challenge me to a dance off. I dare you.
Pick up cards in booth #1548
And Follow @recruitingdaily and @oleeo_
tag #bemoreeventful + #hrtechconf when you play!
William is the President & Editor-at-Large of RecruitingDaily. At the intersection of HR and technology, he’s a writer, speaker, advisor, consultant, investor, storyteller & teacher. He's been writing about HR and Recruiting related issues for longer than he cares to disclose. William serves on the Board of Advisors / Board of Directors for 20+ HR technology startups. William is a graduate of the University of Alabama at Birmingham with a BA in Art History. He also earned an MA in American Indian Studies from the University of Arizona and an MBA from Case Western Reserve University.
Weekly news and industry insights delivered straight to your inbox.